Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Health Watch: My Morning Colds and Drixine Nasal Spray

I didn't know until recently that my morning colds brought about by the cool weather of the season is actually a form of allergy. A friend recently suggested to try out the Drixine nasal spray decongestant.


I don't mind the colds actually since it goes away immediately after taking my hot morning milk or coffee during breakfast. I have been used to that routine of getting rid of my minor morning colds.

But Philippine holidays' weather is now a bit different. it seems that the rainy season moved a bit with rainshowers even during December. I specially took note that this wasn't the case before. Yes, December used to have the cold weather but no rains.

Anyway, I tried out Drixine. Holding my head upright and spraying the nozzle into my nostrils, my clogged morning nose is suddenly cleared. It worked! For a first timer like me, that was fast and easy.

But honestly, if you'll ask me, it's no big deal whether I take one or not since I can loose my clogged nose a bit later in the morning after an exercise and my hot brew, or when the morning sun is up.

However, I remembered a mom-friend who shared a similar experience about her child. This is where I thought the Drixine nasal spray would be most relevant - the children.

Some children can be stubborn in blowing their nose or does not have the maturity to wait for their breakfast hot milk to get rid of an allergy-based clogged nose. And in this area Drixine nasal spray would be most effective, fast, and easy. And even now that it's past December, the months of January and February can still be pretty cold as the ice caps of mountains from China are still melting just past winter season as winds from the west blow towards the direction of Philippine archipelago.

Further reading led me to know that aside from being a regular decongestant of clogged and stuffy nose, Drixine nasal spray could also be used to remedy sinusitis, hay fever and other respiratory allergies in a few minutes. With the generic name Oxymetazoline hydrochloride (0.05% Oxymetazoline), it is a direct acting ingredient that decreases inflammation and swelling of the nasal passage. Drixine is manufactured by Schering-Plough and distributed locally by Zuellig Pharma Corp.


A local trademark for global brand Afrin, Drixine can also work faster than regular oral decongestants and provides up to 12 hour relief. Simply spray Drixine two to three times into each clogged nostril preferably in morning and evening. Drixine nasal spray is encouraged to be used on children 6 years and above and should not be used beyond three consecutive days.

1 comment: